I wanted to fill you in on the kitchen built-in progress. Sometimes I think people only want to see a finished project, but am reminded that for me seeing how projects progress is just as satisfying.
Five weeks ago they started in on our kitchen breakfast nook built-ins. It was so fun watching them build out the cabinets and install everything the first few days. The last time you saw the project on the blog, it looked like this.
Later that week they added doors and drawer fronts, then prepped for paint to happen over the weekend.
After they dried over the weekend the painter came back to take down all of the paper and reinstall the doors. We were told by our contract that the Silestone Lyra countertop (same counter we have in the kitchen) was discontinued and that it would take time to locate any remnants. We would have to wait until that was installed to do any tiling and the remaining electrical work.
While waiting I decided to go ahead and add hardware. I used the exact same hardware that we have installed in the kitchen. Restoration Hardware’s Aubrey pull in polished nickel, and these polished nickel knobs from Amazon.
And here it has sat, without any progress, for four weeks. Ughhhhhhh… We got tired of waiting and unpacked the new espresso machine so we could go ahead and enjoy lattes. We’ve been back and forth with our contractor. Supposably the countertop has been located, but its price is now three times the original estimate. YOU GUYS. It was going to be installed earlier this week, but we’ve now got a new date of this Saturday. I’m so over it all.
These sconces will be going in over the open shelves where you see the wires hanging out. I ordered in a chandelier to replace the lantern over our table, and things didn’t go exactly as planned. I ordered this chandelier based off of the website’s description saying it came with extra cord length and chain so I could hang it at the appropriate length.
When it came in I quickly noticed that wasn’t the case. While I could just go back to the drawing board, I ordered new island pendants based off of this chandelier, and I’m just not willing to let go of my original plan. Currently, I’m trying to figure out how to rewire the chandelier and rework it so I can hang it lower than its designed to.
There are mixed feelings that I have about our kitchen island pendants. I really do still love these lights! The struggle was in finding new lighting for the nook area that worked with these pendants. There just wasn’t anything that felt right in the price range I wanted to stay in.
This was the perfect opportunity to go for some pendants that I feel in love with a couple of years ago. I ordered in these amazing pendants.
I was going to install them this past weekend when I noticed one of the shades was destroyed in shipping. You guys, I just cannot seem to win with this kitchen!!! It’s comical at this point! A new shade will be shipped out next week. Hopefully by the time it arrives there will have been more progress with the built in and I will have a solution for how to rework the chandelier.
So, that’s it. That’s where we are with the kitchen built-in progress. Be sure to follow along on my Instagram posts and IG Stories. That’s where you can find real time progress on the kitchen and other projects.
One big fat SWOOOOOON!