Our living room rug bit the dust. It actually needed to be replaced about 6 months ago, but I just kept ignoring the problem. Like it’s going to go away or something. When the hole reached 1’x2′ I knew I had to do something.
- Do they smell? They have a wet grass smell when you first unroll them, but that goes away in about 2-3 days.
- Do they shed? If you sit down in dark clothing yes, you will have little fibers left on your clothes. We don’t lay on the floor in here so it doesn’t bother us.
- Are they soft? Jute rugs are much softer than sisal rugs, but they aren’t what you would call soft and fluffy. But, having said that, we actually love the nubby feel on our bare feet. It’s like a little massage.
- Do they hide mess and dirt? Yes! The kids are always dropping food crumbs (even when they know not to eat in here), and unless it’s full up cracker laying on the ground, you wouldn’t be able to tell. The color variations in the rug also help hide dirt from dog paws and shoes.
- Do you need a rug pad? If you’re rug is going down on a hard surface like wood or tile then absolutely. If your rug has the same weave on the front and back (it doesn’t have a fabric backing) you’ll want to get a nicer felt and rubber pad to keep it in place. You can check out my post on that here.
Disclosure: I did receive a discount in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own. See more of my disclosure information here.